As homesellers, you will hear and read again and again about the importance of preparing your home for sale. And while you may have spent weeks de-cluttering, painting and having those few imperfections that existed repaired, there are still a few things you will need to do right before potential buyers turn up to view your home.
Here is a quick checklist of things you should do right before a buyer stops by with their Realtor:
- Open all the curtains and blinds if you are showing during daylight hours to let in as much natural light as possible. Dark homes are gloomy homes and that is the last thing you want your property to appear to be.
- Vacuum and sweep, even if you only just did it yesterday.
- Make sure all your washing up is done and dishes, plates and cutlery are neatly put away and out of sight. The kitchen is one of the rooms people take the longest look at, and the one space in your home that needs to be as neat and uncluttered as possible.
- Make sure the temperature in your for sale by owner home is just right. In the summer make sure that the air conditioning and or fans are on, but not blasting away so much that the place feels like the North Pole. In the winter the heat should be set at a comfortable level but not cranked so high that it feels like the place is a greenhouse rather than a home.
- Make sure that cat litter boxes are clean (and preferably out of sight) and that any pets in the home are safely secured in a room where they will not interfere with your buyers. If possible send them on a mini vacation to the neighbor’s for a few hours. However friendly Fido may be, having him bound down the drive to greet potential buyers is never a good idea.
- Prepare a few light refreshments. Although not essential, and the potential buyers may turn your offer down anyway, putting out a plate full of assorted cookies, or having the kettle ready to make a cup of tea for your guests is a nice, welcoming gesture that many buyers will really appreciate.
Angelica Pinto is an artist, interior design lover and Realtor serving the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph, Ontario communities.